Aging + Wrinkles
Understand your skin
The more you know about your skin’s aging process, the better you’ll be able to keep it looking its best. Scroll down for helpful information and tips about between the brow frown lines and wrinkles so you can decide if Dysport is right for you.
Frown line facts
Fact 1: Creams and lotions don’t always cut it.
Your skin care regimen probably includes a number of over-the-counter cosmetic products. That’s perfectly fine. But when it comes to improving the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows, a prescription treatment may be the best choice for lasting results.
Fact 2: It’s not an age thing.
Of course time is a factor. But wrinkles and frown lines between the brows don’t simply mean you’re getting older. They’re caused by repeated movements and muscle contractions, which means they can even develop in younger adults. Frown lines, “elevens” or glabellar lines are the product of repeated movement of corrugator supercilii, procerus and depressor supercilii muscles. It’s the mark of an expressive face. Dysport lets you keep the expressions and lose the evidence.
Fact 3: You don’t have to “ live with ’em.”
You squint, you smile, you frown — wrinkles happen. That’s life. But that doesn’t mean you have to accept it. Dysport is here to help you stand up to the lines between your eyebrows and take control of your look.
Let’s get serious about skin.
Yes, there’s a science behind youthful-looking skin. It starts with hyaluronic acid, the naturally occurring substance in your skin that helps give it a full, youthful look.1 As we age, hyaluronic acid diminishes, causing our skin to look thinner, drier and more wrinkled.1,2 Several other scientific factors may lead to less youthful skin with more wrinkles, including:
Redistribution of facial fat2
- Loss of fat in the forehead and cheeks
- Gain of fat in the mouth and jaw area, which can cause sagging
- Bone loss throughout your face3
- Muscle laxity3
- External factors, such as sun damage or smoking3
Avoid UV exposure.
Excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays is thought to be a major culprit for rapidly aging skin. Sun damages your skin and causes a loss of collagen, which can lead to drooping and wrinkles.1,4 If you’re the outdoorsy type, think sunblock and shade to keep your skin as healthy and young-looking as possible.
Drinking plenty of water will help prevent your skin from becoming overly dry.
Eat omega-3 fatty acids.
Salmon, tuna, walnuts and flaxseed will help protect your top layer of skin and keep moisture in. Omega-3s also prevent inflammation and help maintain cell structure and function.5
Avoid processed foods and sugars.
When sugar comes in contact with collagen (a protein), a reaction called glycation occurs. Glycation can damage collagen, compromise the integrity and regeneration of skin tissue, and accelerate aging of the skin.6,7
Aging in men
Gentlemen, congratulations on making the bold choice to treat your frown lines between your eyebrows. The fact is, because your face moves when you frown, smile or squint, frown lines can still appear even if you use the best men’s skin care products. And, as a man, your expression lines tend to be deeper, so a prescription injection could be the treatment you need to get the natural look you want. Check out our gallery to see how Dysport can help improve the appearance of between the brow frown lines for men.
Aging in women
Work out. Eat right. Take care of your skin. Rinse. Repeat. It’s your every day. Everything you do in your daily routine can help you stay happy and healthy. But sometimes, for those inevitable things in life — like frown lines between the eyebrows — a step outside the routine may be in order. Everybody ages differently, but if you express yourself through movements in your face (like most people do), Dysport can help smooth those frown lines and get the natural look you want. See how Dysport works.
- Papakonstantinou E, Roth M, Karakiulakis G. Hyaluronic Acid: A key molecule in skin aging. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012;4(3):253-258.
- Vleggaar D, Fitzgerald R. Dermatological implications of skeletal aging: a focus on supraperiosteal volumization for perioral rejuvenation. J Drugs Dermatol. 2008;7(3):209-220.
- Ganjoo A. 35A Aging Skin. In: Venkataram M, ed. ACS(I) Textbook on Cutaneous & Aesthetic Surgery. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2012:545-549.
- The Effects of Aging on Skin. WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/beauty/aging/effects-of-aging-on-skin. Accessed February 25, 2015.
- Want Healthy Skin? Feed It Well. WebMD Web site. http://www.webmd.com/beauty/skin/want-healthy-skin-feed-well. Accessed February 25, 2015.
- Lyons TJ, Bailie KE, Dyer DG, Dunn JA, Baynes JW. Decrease in skin collagen glycation with improved glycemic control in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Invest. 1991;87(6):1910-1915.
- Dandby FW. Nutrition and aging skin: sugar and glycation. Clin Dermatol. 2010;28(4):409-411.
Ask your doctor if prescription Dysport is right for you.
Dysport may not be right for you if: you have surgical changes to your face, very weak muscles in the treatment area, your face looks very different from side to side, the injection site is inflamed, you have droopy eyelids or sagging eyelid folds, deep facial scars, thick oily skin, or if your wrinkles can’t be smoothed by spreading them apart.See below for Dysport Important Safety Information and Medication Guide.